What are cookies?
The cookies we use
The cookies used can be grouped roughly into the following categories:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas, or one which allows communication between your browser and the website.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that visitors are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies enable you to browse our online services and use features such as shopping baskets and wish lists.
- Customer preference cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
How long do cookies last?
The length of time that a cookie remains on your computer or device depends on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies last until you stop browsing and persistent cookies last until they expire or are deleted. Most of the cookies we use are persistent and will expire between 90 days and two years from the date they are downloaded to your device. See the section below for more information on removing them before they expire.
How do I disable or delete cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use.
If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer or devices, please refer to the help and support section on your internet browser for instructions on how to locate the file or directory that stores cookies.
Please note that our online services cannot always control third-party cookies stored on your computer or devices from our online services and that setting your cookie preferences with us will not stop those third-party cookies from being stored. Therefore, you must manage these cookies directly with the relevant third party.
Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.AboutCookies.org. Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our website.
Further details on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers are set out below:
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
- Click on the “privacy” tab
- Select the setting the appropriate setting
For Google Chrome:
- Choose Settings> Advanced
- Under "Privacy and security," click “Content settings”.
- Click “Cookies”
- Choose Preferences > Privacy
- Click on “Remove all Website Data”
For Mozilla firefox:
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
- Click on the icon “privacy”
- Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
For Opera 6.0 and further:
- Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”
Changes to this policy